Monday, September 22, 2008

Politics Brings out The Worst


Maybe it's because we can't change each others minds.

When you think you're right, and know another group of people are wrong, it becomes easy to think the world would be a better place if said group would evaporate into the sky. The idea of a government system not bothered with bickering among parties appeals to people on a gut level for it's hope of efficiency.

So here I am in Virginia, and the governor of my home state is selected to be the running mate of Republican candidate Senator John McCain.

I've now lived primarily in the lower 48 for the past six years. What I know of my governor, as experienced through my family that lives in Anchorage(an hour south of Wasilla) is that the state is more or less better off with her.

She took on a bunch of crooks, and raised taxes on big oil. No one cared what party she was from, no one cared what her religious beliefs were. She had been like Robin Hood stealing from the rich and giving to the poor.

Today, almost two months till the election, people either love me or hate me based on the fact that I was born and raised around the general area that another human being was raised.

No one ever asks my position on topics, but it is rather "What do you think of Palin?"

My reply is simply "McCain '08"

I say this despite disagreeing with her on almost every national issue because it is the best answer I can give.
  1. Either I make an instant friend
  2. Or piss someone off so badly that they are emboldened to actually vote for Obama.

No comments: